Deaf Awareness (K101) and Communication with Deaf and Deafblind People (T101)
These two courses available together are suitable for those who want to get a basic knowledge of the barriers that deaf people face every day and who want to have some skills in order to be able to communicate with deaf people.
Unit K101 – Deaf and Deafblind Awareness
Learning Outcomes: You will be able to
- Describe types of deafness
- Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of deaf people’s preferred communication methods, including language to use when describing deaf people and what is discriminatory
- Overcome the barriers that affect deaf people’s access to communication
- Understand the benefits and limitations of Technical Aids to Communication (TAC’s) and how they can be used
- Identify and using appropriate Language Service Professionals (LSPs).
The Assessment is an assessed multiple-choice paper. This is done by an external examiner.
Unit T101 – Communication Tactics with Deaf and Deafblind People
Learning Outcomes: You will have
- The basic skills for communicating with deaf people
- An understanding of how and when to use these skills to communicate with deaf people.
The Assessment will be based on the practical skills you have learned.
Please note: Tea, coffee, water and biscuits are included, but not lunch. Please bring your own lunch with you.
Facilitator: Andy Irvine of Commtacs
With over 30 years of experience, Commtacs has become a specialist provider in deaf awareness and communication tactics with deaf and deafblind people. Through a natural development and a keen interest in technology, we have developed a media service where information is translated into BSL (British Sign Language) and provided either as DVDs or web-ready video clips. www.commtacs.co.uk/
Each of these sessions (K101 and T101) has an assessment registration fee of £27 (£54 for both).